Just like a campfire, a fiery trial can be managed (even extinguished) but it is nothing to play with . . .
Focus Scripture: Philippians 4:6, NASB
According to famed safety guru, Smokey Bear,1 one should follow these guidelines to properly extinguish a campfire:
- Allow the wood to burn completely to ash, if possible
- Pour lots of water on the fire, drown ALL embers, not just the red ones
- Pour until hissing sound stops
- Stir the campfire ashes and embers with a shovel
- Scrape the sticks and logs to remove any embers
- Stir and make sure everything is wet and they are cold to the touch
- If you do not have water, use dirt. Mix enough dirt or sand with the embers. Continue adding and stirring until all material is cool. Remember: do NOT bury the fire as the fire will continue to smolder and could catch roots on fire that will eventually get to the surface and start a wildfire.
According to the Word of God, one should follow these guidelines to properly deal with a trial:
“6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” (Philippians 4:6, NASB).
Just like a campfire, a fiery trial can be managed (even extinguished) but it is nothing to play with; for when it is untamed it can turn into a full-fledged forest fire. And while it takes a considerable amount of care in making sure a campfire is fully out, imagine the amount of effort it would take (with the use of water, dirt, extinguishers, etc.) if either ‘that trial’ or ‘that campfire’ turned into a forest fire. . . Selah.
We learn from scripture that “9A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough” (Galatians 5:9, NASB). But I encourage you today to make yours the righteous leaven (see Luke 12:1-3 for context).
How many trials, tests, problems, or dilemmas are you facing today that, if untamed, have “full-fledged forest fire” potential? Take the necessary action to deal with them today. Turn those trials over to God, watch your situation get better, and don’t forget to give God the glory!
Let us Pray: Father, we turn our concerns over to you in faith, and we declare that our trials will not stop us from living for you. Please continue to grant us your wisdom. In Jesus’ Name, Amen!
 “Campfire Safety,” SmokeyBear.com, accessed updated link September 19, 2016, https://smokeybear.com/en/prevention-how-tos/campfire-safety.
Author, speaker, musician DEREK E. EURALES, Jr., loves to share his faith, motivation, and music. His book, Principles of Christian Living, has become a “must read” for believers of all ages. To order your copy, click here.