Derek E. Eurales, Jr.
Text: Acts 4:13-22
A Sermon Illustrating the Benefits of Receiving Spillage: First from One’s Relationship with Christ; and Secondly from the Overflow of Anointed People
Background Scriptures: Acts 3; Acts 4:1-1
Additional Scriptures: Psalm 23:5; John 14:12; John 10:10
13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. 14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it. 15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves, 16 saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it. 17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name. 18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. 20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. 21 So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done. 22 For the man was above forty years old, on whom this miracle of healing was shewed.
Anointing – a special enablement, or ability.
Splatter – results of a spill or an impact.
You need to be sitting somewhere, or in a position/posture to catch the spillage, to receive from your relationship with Christ, and to receive from the overflow of anointed people. Just as a saucer is used with a coffee cup (or tea cup) to catch the spillage, so should we avail ourselves as saucers ready to catch the spillage from the overflow of the cup (leadership).
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
When the Lord is the portion of your cup, your cup WILL indeed run over!
Effects of the Splatter:
– A transfer of some of what the originator of the splatter has. If you are near the spillage, some of the splatter will invariably get on you. If you are near enough to the spill, you will get the splatter.
– Uncommon, unconcealable results that are evident and recognized by others. Because of the Splatter Effects in their lives, the disciples in today’s lesson (John and Peter) gained the attention of all in Jerusalem, to include a lot of “important” figures (scripture mentions the Sanhedrin – members of the ancient Jewish court system, and the supreme religious body in the Land of Israel during the time of scripture). The people glorified God, but the Sanhedrin wanted to find ways to discredit the apostles, to no avail in this instance. Point: people may be amazed, or even astonished by your results. These results may or may not lead to you standing before great men under good or seemingly bad circumstances. Just be sure to give all glory to God.
– The potential to do more with the transferred splatter than the one who splattered. When you take what you have received of the Splatter Effects and apply it, the number of lives impacted by the message will increase because of your enlarged reach. John 14:12 says “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.”
Signs that a Spillage is Happening:
– When your leader gets elevated, expect spillage.
– When your leader is in “Rare Form”, expect spillage.
– When your leader says words to the effect of “pay close attention to…”, or “you need to really key in on…”, or “this is really going to help you…”, expect spillage.
John 10:10 says “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”
One thing is for sure: the devil does not want you to live, much less grow, because this would mean an ever-increasing threat to the devil’s kingdom. But Almighty God wants your life to have Splatter Effects – to be abundant (full and overflowing).
Decide today that you WILL position yourself to receive all spillage and splatters that will lead to affecting lives for the Kingdom of God, first from God, and secondly from your leaders. The Effects of the Splatter are now up to you!
God bless you today, and every day!
Author, speaker, musician DEREK E. EURALES, Jr., loves to share his faith, motivation, and music. His book, Principles of Christian Living, has become a “must read” for believers of all ages. To order your copy, click here.